If there is something I miss since switching to a Paleo way of eating, it was fig newton store bought cookies. I was determined to come up with a fig cookie recipe that satisfy that craving and these fig thumbprint cookies way exceeded my expectations, they are seriously delicious, mmm.
Fig Thumbprint Cookies
These Fig Thumbprint Cookies are a delicious homemade twist on Fig Newtons, the best part is that they are healthy too. Paleo, refined sugar free and gluten free - oh yum!
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (or tapioca starch)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce (or another 1/4 cup coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup chopped figs
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup juice from an orange
- 1 drop of doTerra wild orange essential oil (optional)
- Soak the chopped figs in the hot water and orange juice and set aside for a 1-3 hours. Add the maple syrup and wild orange essential oil. Blend mixture in a vitamix or mix until it has a thick jam consistency.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- For the cookies, mix together the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir till well combined.
- Use a tsp amount of dough to roll small balls of dough and place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Use your thumb or small spoon to make a thumbprint type indent in each cookie. Fill each indent with the prepared fig mixture. Bake at 375 for 12 -13 minutes.
- Cookies will last in a sealed container for about 5 days, if they don't get eaten before then.
You can purchase doTerra wild orange essential oil here.
Looking for other fig recipes? Try this Fig Blue Cheese Apple Pizza.
You can sign-up to get an email update each day. Connect with us on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter .
Interested in doTerra essential oils? Join our Essential oils with Trevor and Jody Facebook group.
Friday 11th of December 2015
I made them and hubby enjoyed them,thanks
Tuesday 1st of December 2015
THIS is going to be my next cookie adventure!
Wednesday 11th of February 2015
I am going to try this recipe....the cookies look so yummy:)
Sunday 25th of January 2015
Yum, these cookies look delicious, I have had thumbprint cookies before but not fig flavored cookies. I can't wait to give these cookies a try, thank you for sharing this recipe.
Thursday 22nd of January 2015
These cookies look awesome Jody! Will have to make them for the family!