On December 30th we added a brand new member to our family. Our sweet little “Jax” who is a super cute and cuddly Shipom puppy (Shitzu/Pomeranian). Growing up I had a countless number of pets. All different sized dogs, cats, horses and even a sheep and hedgehogs at one point. Never in my life have I spent so much time looking up cute little accessories for an animal as I have over the last week since bringing him home. I never would have thought that I would become one of “those” pet owners, but now I am.
Not only have I found countless DIY projects that I will be working on for my little fur baby, but I have also done some research on food and treats. Just like processed people food, there is a lot of not so good stuff in factory made dog treats. I did some searching and found a few recipes to use as a guide for making my own treats for Jax. I came up with these Cheesy Cheddar treats and they turned out quite well (he ate them which is a good sign).
DIY - Cheesy Cheddar Dog Treats
A DIY Dog Treat recipe
- chicken bouillon cubes
- warm water
- 2/3 cup rice flour
- *2/3 cup oat flour *I used my magic bullet to grind organic oats into flour for this recipe
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cookie cutters (or you can roll into little balls and flatten with your palm)
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- In a small bowl dissolve bouillon cube in warm water (about 7-9 tablespoons).
- In a separate bowl mix flours and cheddar cheese and add in the liquid slowly, mix with your hands until it reaches a dough like consistency.
- Form into a ball, wrap in saran wrap and chill in fridge for 10 minutes.
- After the dough has chilled, roll onto floured surface and cut out desired shapes. You do not want them to be too thick.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, turn off oven and leave them to dry out for an additional 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container. This recipe made approximately 30 small treats.
Let me know how your pups liked them!
You can sign-up to get an email update each day. You can also connect with us on:
This post was submitted to Mommy Moment by Jennifer H.
Jennifer Hunt is the owner/licensee of Guelph Mompreneurs, the creative mind behind Imagine With Paper, and a social media footprint in the Guelph-Wellington area with her blog My Big Blue World which is focused on the adventures – and misadventures – of being a mom of 3 boys. She describes herself as a “serial crafter and DIY addict” and sometimes finds it hard to step away from pinterest. Although life can get pretty hectic she has decided to add a new blog “Goddess With a Gluegun” into the mix. You can follow Jennifer @GGgodess on Twitter!
Debbie White Beattie
Thursday 14th of December 2017
I would love to make treats for my dog because he has allergies plus there's too many chemicals in the store bought products
Tuesday 7th of January 2014
What an adorable puppy! I'm going to pass this recipe on to my aunt for her dog.
Saturday 4th of May 2013
Yeah we love them! My baby, Bella, will be a year this month and she looks identical to your pup!
Sunday 3rd of March 2013
These look great! About how long can they be kept? I'm thinking about making a large batch of them.
Tuesday 29th of January 2013
I made them last night and my dog Taz loves them as well. So easy to make!
Jody @ Mommy Moment
Tuesday 29th of January 2013
Thanks for letting us know what your dog thinks of them! Glad it was a treat!