When my husband and I first moved to Texas (many moons ago), we were lucky to find a small Mexican restaurant that served the most amazing food. Anytime we would go, I would order the chicken tostada and my husband would have carne asada, and we would eat until we were stuffed to the gills. Now that we’ve moved back to Ontario, it’s hard to find good quality authentic Mexican food. And let’s face it, Taco Bell just isn’t cutting it, LOL. So, over the years I’ve been trying to recreate our favourite Mexican dishes, here at home. Though I’m sure I’ll never get them as good as I remember, these tostadas have become a family favourite.
Crock Pot Chicken and Bean Tostadas
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less depending on spice tolerance)
- pinch of sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- juice of 2 limes
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 Tbs sunflower oil (veg oil is also fine)
- 1/2 C salsa (heat preference of choice, I use mild for the kiddos)
- 1 can (14.5oz) black beans rinsed and drained
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- sunflower oil to fry the tostadas
- chopped tomatoes
- shredded Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- hot sauce
- Place the black beans in the bottom of a 4 qt crock pot and top with chicken
- In a mixing bowl combine the chili powder, oregano, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, lime juice and zest, tomato paste, salsa and oil
- Stir well to combine and pour over chicken breasts, turning breast to coat
- Cook on low for 6 hrs
- Remove chicken from crock pot and shred using 2 forks and return to crock pot with beans to keep warm.
- In a large skillet, over medium low, heat 1/2 an inch of sunflower oil. Once oil is hot, carefully place 1 corn tortilla into the oil and cook until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
- Carefully flip the tortilla and cook 1 minute longer on second side
- Remove from oil to a paper towel lined baking tray and repeat with remaining tortillas.
- To assemble: Place 1 tostada onto a plate. Top with chicken and bean mixture and garnish with lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream and hot sauce; as desired.
Cindy is a Stay at Home Mom of 2, married to a Chef. Cindy quickly realized that if she didn’t want to live off of cereal, blue box Mac’n’Cheese and TV dinners, she needed to get into the kitchen; after a long day at work, the last thing her hubby wants is to cook her a 4 star dinner. When her son turned 2, she decided to start blogging and Hun… What’s for Dinner? was born. Cindy tries to share healthy and wholesome dishes, with a few desserts here and there. Though baking is her passion, she has recently become more adventurous in the kitchen and loves creating new and innovative recipes.
This recipe was also linked up to Somewhat Simple, Tatertots & Jello,
Saturday 7th of December 2019
We love food with a kick so recipe is perfect my family
Thursday 5th of January 2017
Crockpot Reg Slow Cooker Family Favourites By Crockpot Canada
[...] few desserts here and there. Though baking is her passion, she has recently bec [...]
Saturday 7th of September 2013
I love Mexican food and this is very appealing.It's very colorful and I love the combination of the ingredients so I know it will be delicious.
Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious?
Friday 15th of March 2013
Oh my goodness...this looks SOOO tasty. I want Mexican food for lunch now!
Friday 15th of March 2013
Oh this is going into my "must try" recipe bin! It looks and sounds delicious and we always love our Mexican food! Can't wait to try it!