Everyone needs encouragement so today I am going to share with you 5 practical ways to encourage a friend who is feeling down or going through a hard time. You may also like these 99 acts of kindness.
What does it mean to encourage? The simple definition according to the merriam-webster dictionary is to make (someone) more determined, hopeful, or confident.
5 WAYS TO ENCOURAGE A FRIEND
- LISTEN TO THEM – we often are quick to offer suggestions when what our friend really needs is a listening ear – just be there to listen, it’s more powerful that you may think.
- GIVE A HAND WRITTEN NOTE – texts and Facebook messages are becoming the norm, but giving a handwritten note to a friend can be a huge spirit lifter – write it on some pretty note cards, add a favorite verse or quote and deliver it in person or even send in via good ole’ fashioned post mail.
- GO FOR A WALK TOGETHER – a good way to get in some one-on-one friend time while getting the natural benefit of some vitamin D from the sunshine and a release of endorphins which can also trigger a positive feeling in the body.
- OFFER POSITIVE WORDS – remind your friend of a time when they encouraged you – sometimes when they are going through a hard time they feel that they are just a downer – remind them of their strengths or how they helped you in some way.
- FOCUS ON THE FUTURE – Sometimes when the moment they are in is a gloomy one, that is all they see, they can not see the sunshine behind the cloud. Ask your friend what dreams they have – talk about practical ways to achieve some of those goals – getting them excited about the future helps them see glass as half full instead of half empty.
What are some ways that you have been encouraged by a friend?
This post was brought you you by my partnership in the Love, Hallmark blogger program.
You can sign-up to get an email update each day. You can also connect with us on:
You may also like these 99 acts of kindness.