I LOVE PASTA – and although I do eat the occasional rice pasta dish now, our real food way of living has us coming up with new ways to make old favorites.
This zucchini lasagna recipe has become a fast favorite in our home. The best part is that it is easy to make – basically you make your favorite lasagna recipe and just swap the lasagna pasta noodles for slices of zucchini instead!
This delicious lasagna uses slices of zucchini instead of pasta noodles.
- 3-4 zucchini sliced with a mandoline
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 of an onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Slice the zucchini with a mandoline to about 1/8" thick - lay slices on paper towel and sprinkle with pink Himalayan salt. Let sit for a minimum 30 minutes.
- In a pan, brown the beef in the coconut oil, add the chopped onion and minced garlic and fry till done. Add all but 2 tbsp of the tomato sauce to the meat mixture.
- Pat the zucchini dry with paper towel and grill the slices.
- Mix the egg with the cottage cheese and set aside.
- Put the 2 tbsp of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a 8x8 pan then put a layer of zucchini slices over it.
- Next put half the meat sauce over the zucchini and then half of the cottage cheese mixture.
- Put another layer of zucchini, then the rest of the meat mixture and the rest of the cottage cheese mixture.
- Cover with the last layer of zucchini and then cover the zucchini with the 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the pan with greased tin foil and place in the over for 40 minutes at 375. Then uncover, turn the temp down to 350 and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Let it sit out of the oven for 5-10 minutes before serving.
If you are looking for some real pasta recipes you can try my baked macaroni and cheese recipe, this Taco Pierogie Casserole.
Check out these pasta recipes from other blogs: best macaroni and cheese and chicken fettuccine alfredo.
You can also follow our real food journey on Instagram. I’d love for you to also connect with us on Pinterest.
Linked up at The DIY Dreamer, Someday Crafts, Sew Creative, I Gotta Create, Gooseberry Patch, Uncommon Designs, Craft-O-Maniac, Skip to My Lou, Craftberry Bush, Tidy Mom
Sunday 23rd of October 2016
I love Zucchini. This sounds like a delicious way to use it.
Sunday 7th of September 2014
this recipe sounds delicious, definitely need to try it
Wednesday 3rd of September 2014
Wow!! Looks super yummy! I'm trying to limit pasta. I would add some frozen leaf spinach to this. Pinned it for sure:)
Debbie White Beattie
Friday 22nd of August 2014
This looks delicious, I'm definitely trying this because I love zucchini.
Jodi Hoppe Wresh
Monday 26th of May 2014
This sounds delicious! definitely will try it out!!