I LOVE PASTA – and although I do eat the occasional rice pasta dish now, our real food way of living has us coming up with new ways to make old favorites.
This zucchini lasagna recipe has become a fast favorite in our home. The best part is that it is easy to make – basically you make your favorite lasagna recipe and just swap the lasagna pasta noodles for slices of zucchini instead!
This delicious lasagna uses slices of zucchini instead of pasta noodles.
- 3-4 zucchini sliced with a mandoline
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 of an onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Slice the zucchini with a mandoline to about 1/8" thick - lay slices on paper towel and sprinkle with pink Himalayan salt. Let sit for a minimum 30 minutes.
- In a pan, brown the beef in the coconut oil, add the chopped onion and minced garlic and fry till done. Add all but 2 tbsp of the tomato sauce to the meat mixture.
- Pat the zucchini dry with paper towel and grill the slices.
- Mix the egg with the cottage cheese and set aside.
- Put the 2 tbsp of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a 8x8 pan then put a layer of zucchini slices over it.
- Next put half the meat sauce over the zucchini and then half of the cottage cheese mixture.
- Put another layer of zucchini, then the rest of the meat mixture and the rest of the cottage cheese mixture.
- Cover with the last layer of zucchini and then cover the zucchini with the 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the pan with greased tin foil and place in the over for 40 minutes at 375. Then uncover, turn the temp down to 350 and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Let it sit out of the oven for 5-10 minutes before serving.