Today’s post is going to combine two things I really enjoy doing, watching David Letterman and washing the dishes. Okay so the last one is a stretch, but thanks to Finish washing the dishes has become easier and more effective. I was recently a part of a webinar about Finish and the overall performance of dishwashers. Soooooooo in true David Letterman style, here is a top 5 list of ways I improved my dishwasher’s performance (insert band music by Paul Shaffer here).
#5 – Use HOT water in your dishwasher.
- While this might seem obvious, your machine is designed to work best with hot water. The optimum temperature is 120 degree’s and you may have to run your kitchen hot water tap a little before the hot water actually reaches your dishwasher. If you fill your dishwasher half way with cold water, you are not using it in the most effective way
#4 – NEVER NEVER EVER store your dishwasher detergent under your sink.
- This may be the most convenient place, however it is the most harmful for your soap. Most detergents (including all Finish products) are designed to be activated by water – as soon as the detergent becomes wet, it’s activated and done all the cleaning it can do. Next to the bathroom, under your sink is the dampest place in your home. If you are storing your detergent here, you may have destroyed the effectiveness of your soap.
#3 – Load your dishwasher properly.
- The folks at Finish have given the term “nesting” to the act of stacking dishes in a way that the water cannot penetrate in an effective way due to another dish blocking it. An example of this is two spoons against each other or a pot sitting over a bowl. Dishes need to be laid out so the water and its detergent can “attack” the dirt, grease and grim that is plaguing your dishwasher’s performance.
#2 – Finish Quantum is composed of 2 friends Enzymes and Bleach.
- You cannot have one without the other. The enzyme’s job is to break down proteins and starches in the dishwasher during the washing process. If you have ever pulled a plate out of the dishwasher and it still had egg or cheese on it, you did not have enough or no Enzyme’s in your detergent. However, Enzyme’s die off once the temperature goes up, and this is where your good friend Bleach comes in. Bleach will finish the job and get a deeper clean once Enzyme has done the best job it can.
AND the # 1 way I improved my dishwasher’s performance – Never under estimate the power of a rinse aid.
- This will help when you pull your dishes out of the dishwasher and not have to dry your dishes or deal with the spots left from hard water or food particles. But how does it work? Small drops of water have high surface tension. Drops will hang onto the glass and other dishes and dry there, leaving a stain caused by hard water or food particles. A rinse aid will lower the surface tension of the water and make it not want to stick to surfaces. Thus the water will slide off and not hang around on your dishes.
I found this webinar very informative and I hope these tricks help you to optimize the performance of your dishwasher and make you tolerate doing the dishes a little more. This will be my last post as a Finish blogger and I have learned a lot while having a blast. Please read these Finish posts and help your dishwasher work like it should.
1 Canadian Mommy Moment reader will WIN 2 boxes of Finish Quantum!
Please be patient – Rafflecopter (the entry form) may take a moment to load
**Click to see a 50 second tutorial on how to enter blog giveaways**
“Disclosure: I am part of the Finish Blogger Program by Mom Central. I received compensation as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.”