It has been fiercely cold in Manitoba this winter and I have been craving those delicious comfort foods. Now that my family is on a journey to eat real food, I have had to come up with some new recipes to satisfy my longing for comfort food and this sweet potato soup sure hits the spot.
Did you know that February is the month of the sweet potato?
This sweet potato soup is easy to make, it is healthy, and it is the perfect comfort food on these cold winter days.
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 small onions
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 large carrots
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 L chicken (or vegetable broth)
- Cook the sweet potatoes and carrots in a pot of boiling water.
- While they are cooking, saute the chopped onions, celery, ginger and garlic in the coconut oil.
- Once the potatoes and carrots are cooked, strain them and keep them in the pot, add the sauteed ingredients and broth.
- Mash up everything in the pot and then use a hand blended to make it smooth.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until you have it nice and hot.
- I add a touch of Himalayan Pink salt before serving.
If you are looking for a sweet potato soup that is not a puree type soup, try this Andouille Sausage & Sweet Potato Soup recipe. Sweet potatoes can also be used to make a great sweet potato hash with fried eggs for breakfast.
February is the month of the sweet potato, here are some other sweet potato recipes to try:
- Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Loaded Sweet Potato Skins
- Sweet Potato and Chicken Shepard’s Pie
- Sweet Potato Dessert Cupcakes with Buttercream Maple Walnut Icing
You can sign-up to get an email update each day and connect with us here: