Being healthy and eating real food does not mean you have to sacrifice all your favorite treats. My daughters love hot chocolate so I was determined to come up with a healthy homemade hot chocolate recipe our whole family would enjoy.
This healthy homemade hot chocolate is creamy and delicious. It is free of refined sugars and is dairy free as well.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp raw organic cocao (raw cacao is rich in antioxidants. Do not confuse it with cocoa, it's not the same thing).
- 1 cup almond milk*
- 4 dates
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or any nut/seed butter of your choice)
- Place all ingredients in a blender. (I use a Vitamix)
- Blend on high speed for 5-6 minutes.
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy.
- When using a Vitamix the hot chocolate comes out nice and steamy. If yours is not hot, you can put it into a saucepan and heat till desired temperature.
- *You can use water or regular milk in place of the almond milk if you prefer.
For a variation of this healthy homemade hot chocolate you can add some instant coffee grinds (or a whole coffee bean if using a Vitamix) to get a healthy mocha type drink!
Need some other delicious drink ideas?
You can check out my Delicious Drinks board on Pinterest and enjoy these other drink recipes below.