Cheese Tortellini and Beef Soup
I was born and raised in Northern Ontario, but I have to say that even after all these years, I’m still not fond of winter. Which is a little crazy, considering we often have snow from October until May. There is one thing I love about winter though and that is making SOUP. You can find a pot of soup simmering in my kitchen, at least once a week, during the winter months. There is just something about a nice hearty bowl of soup, that makes the never ending snow seem less daunting. And what better way to warm up after an hour of shoveling, or sledding with the kids, than with a bowl of steaming comfort.
This hearty Cheese Tortellini and Beef soup is jam packed with flavour and veggies and is sure to chase anyone’s winter blues away.
- 1 lbs stewing beef, cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 C carrots, chopped
- 1 C celery, chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minces
- 1 14.5 oz can whole tomatoes
- 2 C beef broth
- 2 C vegetable broth
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1- 250 g bag frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/2 C Parmesan Cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottom soup pot over medium high heat.
- Once oil starts to ripple, add in the beef and brown on all sides; about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the beef and add in the onion, carrot and celery.
- Cook until onion becomes translucent and add in the garlic; cook for 1 minute, until garlic becomes fragrant. Add in tomatoes and their juice, scrapping the bottom of the pot, to loosen the brown bits. Using a wooden spoon, carefully break tomatoes into small pieces
- Return beef into the pot, along with beef and vegetable broths; season with salt, pepper, basil, oregano and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 1 1/2 -2 hrs, until carrots are fork tender. Add in frozen tortellini, return to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, until tortellini is cooked through.
- Remove bay leaf, check seasonings adjusting salt and pepper to taste and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot with your favourite crusty bread.
Cindy is a Stay at Home Mom of 2, married to a Chef. Cindy quickly realized that if she didn’t want to live off of cereal, blue box Mac’n’Cheese and TV dinners, she needed to get into the kitchen; after a long day at work, the last thing her hubby wants is to cook her a 4 star dinner. When her son turned 2, she decided to start blogging and Hun… What’s for Dinner? was born. Cindy tries to share healthy and wholesome dishes, with a few desserts here and there. Though baking is her passion, she has recently become more adventurous in the kitchen and loves creating new and innovative recipes.
You may also like this HAMBURGER SOUP RECIPE.