I am so excited to share this flavorful BRAISED CHICKEN WITH TOMATOES AND PEPPERS recipe with you all today. Our family loves to sit down for supper together each evening, but it doesn’t always work out with the kids’ different schedules. However, on those nights when we can eat all together, I love to make a healthy, hearty meal that we can all enjoy.
This flavorful BRAISED CHICKEN WITH TOMATOES AND PEPPERS recipe is comfort food at it’s finest and a hearty meal that your whole family will love.
BRAISED CHICKEN WITH TOMATOES AND PEPPERS
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 cut-up whole chicken (3 to 3 1/2 lb), skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse (kosher or sea) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow or green bell pepper, cut into bite-size strips
- 1 medium jalapeño chile, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) Muir Glen® organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Hot cooked rice or couscous, if desired
- Lime wedges, if desired
- In deep 12-inch skillet or 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken pieces to skillet; cook 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, until chicken is light golden brown. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- In same skillet, add onion, garlic, bell pepper and chile; cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes, broth, 1 tablespoon of the cilantro, the chili powder and cumin until well mixed.
- Return chicken to skillet; spoon sauce over chicken. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, turning chicken once, until juice of chicken is clear when thickest piece is cut to bone (170°F for breasts; 180°F for thighs and drumsticks).
- Serve in shallow bowls over rice; sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
- Variation: Like a spicy dish? Use hot-style chili powder instead of regular chili powder, or two jalapeño chiles instead of one.
Muir Glen Tomtaoes are organic and packaged without synthetic chemical additives of any kind. This means I can feel good about feeding these canned tomatoes to my children and husband.
1 CANADIAN Mommy Moment reader will WIN a Muir Glen Tomato Prize Pack featuring:
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- Plain Diced Tomatoes
- Crushed with Basil Tomatoes
- $50 gift card
To enter, leave a blog post comment telling us what you would make with Muir Glen tomatoes.
You may also like this SHEPHERD’S PIE RECIPE:
Thank-you to Muir Glen for sponsoring this Braised Chicken with Tomatoes and Peppers post.