Being a Mom of two, I sometime feel like there isn’t enough hours in a day. Between errands, housework, entertaining my daughter and picking my son up from school; by 4 o’clock, I am exhausted and often looking for something quick for dinner. Especially with the days getting warmer, the last thing I want to do, is stand over a hot stove preparing dinner. This recipe is quick, easy and healthy, three of my favourite words when it comes to dinner. I decided to take my sweet potato fry recipe and convert it into sweet potato hash browns. Topped with a fried egg, this is a quick complete meal, perfect for those busy nights.
Sweet Potato Hash with Fried Eggs
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- a dash or two of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 C maple syrup
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, stripped and leaves chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbs butter
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 tsp chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large non stick pan heat the olive oil, over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add in sweet potatoes, season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper; cook for 3 minutes. Add the maple syrup and thyme into the skillet, stir to coat sweet potatoes and cook until soft.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, preheat a second skillet over medium low heat. Melt butter in skillet and once it starts to foam crack in eggs. Season with salt and pepper and cover with a lid. Cook eggs to preferred doneness.
Place sweet potato hash onto 4 plates. Top with 1 egg each and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Serve with toast if desired.
Cindy is a Stay at Home Mom of 2, married to a Chef. Cindy quickly realized that if she didn’t want to live off of cereal, blue box Mac’n’Cheese and TV dinners, she needed to get into the kitchen; after a long day at work, the last thing her hubby wants is to cook her a 4 star dinner. When her son turned 2, she decided to start blogging and Hun… What’s for Dinner? was born. Cindy tries to share healthy and wholesome dishes, with a few desserts here and there. Though baking is her passion, she has recently become more adventurous in the kitchen and loves creating new and innovative recipes.