There is something about spending a long weekend with family and friends that just makes everything perfect. Whether you’re visiting Canada for the first time or just need some tips for exploring this great country, let me fill you in. Check out these must read tips for enjoying a nice long weekend in Canada.
When it comes to camping in Canada, this is one of the best ways to spend the extra time you have with your family. Many people choose to camp at National Parks during the holiday weekend. If you can manage to get up to a National Park this upcoming weekend, visiting any of these parks will make it awesome.
Try the Pacific Rim National Park, B.C. or even Alice Lake Provincial Park, B.C. Both have awesome campgrounds and they are both places you can spend all weekend unwinding and relaxing from the stress of the world. Riding Mountain National Park is also great if you’re looking for a local-to-you National Park. We have been camping at Riding Mountain and it is something we’ll never forget, experience wise.
If you are tired of camping or at least need another alternative to camping, keep reading because I have some nice options for you and your family!
Find a Quiet Resort
Another way to have a nice long weekend in Canada is to find a quiet resort. Luckily for us Canadians, there is not a shortage of nice quiet resorts for us. Pan Pacific Vancouver, Rimrock Resort Hotel, and even Parkway Cottage Resort & Trading Post are all awesome options for finding a quiet resort away from it all. In Manitoba, The Lakeview Resort is worth a stay. While you’ll have to check what the resorts offer, it has to be an amazing experience considering, the beauty there is to check out throughout Canada.
The cool thing about a quiet resort is that you can find time to relax and unwind. You don’t have to worry about the hustle and bustle of a lot of people because it’s called a “quiet” resort for a reason. If you have never done something like this, I encourage you to try it this weekend or at least a weekend in the future.
Invite People Over
Don’t want to go somewhere, no problem! There have been many long weekends that I have not wanted to move or go anywhere. Sometimes those are the best times to just sit at home and not do much. When I don’t want to leave to go anywhere during those long weekends, I just invited people over. We have them bring a dish of food and my family cooks up the food and provides the drinks. We all stay up late playing games and just having a good time. If you want a low pressure weekend, this could be one of the best things to do over the long weekend ahead.
There have been many years that I have just invited people over because it was the easy thing to do. No shame in having a nice and quiet weekend together in your own backyard!
Find a Route Less Traveled
If everyone is being honest, we all know how crowded things can get over the long weekend. Everyone is off work and it is the perfect chance to get out with the family and have some fun. One of my tips for enjoying a nice long weekend with the family is to find a route less traveled.
- Kluane National Park, Yukon—This is said to be one of the best “off the path” places in Canada. While you may have heard of it, you need to visit it. Not only is it beautiful, but there are not a lot of people there. You can view mountains for miles and even spend time at the campground if you dare.
- `Tangier, Nova Scotia– Now if you want to talk about an “off the path” destination in Canada— you need to check out Tangier, Nova Scotia. This place is a-m-a-z-i-n-g. It’s so off the path that you may not even be able to use your cell phone there. Whether you choose to paddle or hike, you won’t regret either decision.
- Prince Edward Island– P.E.I is surely a sight you will want to see. It is beautiful and a great place to explore while in Canada. Whether you’re visiting or a native of Canada, this area will not disappoint.
I bet you have a ton of awesome things to do in your area in Canada. While some of the places I mentioned above are quite the travel route, I have some local places in mind that will also rock your Canada Day! Here are some things I enjoy doing in my “neck of the woods.”
- NARCISSE SNAKE DENS ~ A HIDDEN MANITOBA EXPERIENCE– This is a must see and do experience in Manitoba! Whether you head there this weekend or make your own weekend of it.
- SPEND A DAY WITH THE FAMILY AT MENNONITE HERITAGE VILLAGE– This is a preferred place of mine. Spending the day with the family at Mennonite Heritage Village is a must-do. I still love looking back on this day and the traditions and simple-ness I experienced.
- WINNIPEG- There are so many beautiful places in Winnipeg. The hotel, scenery, and attractions are all well worth every penny spent. There are also a lot of free activities and parks for the kids to enjoy.
Canada Day is a special day to our country. Whether you are spending the long weekend with family, friends or relaxing on your own, we hope you enjoy it. We are blessed to live in this beautiful country!
What are some of your favorite things to do on a long weekend?
You can sign-up to get an email update each day. You can also connect with us on: