This easy chocolate crazy cake is made in one-pan, and honestly, it is the best chocolate cake I have ever had. Did I mention that my 10 year old daughter makes this cake all by herself.
(Printable version of this EASY ONE-PAN CHOCOLATE CRAZY CAKE at the bottom of the post)
Have you heard of crazy cake? Or maybe a wacky cake as I knew it as? How about depression cake? (it’s been found to be dated back to the Great Depression… well, whether you have heard of it before or not, you will want to make it.
I can’t forget to tell you that it is EGG FREE and DAIRY FREE too.
First, you will want to place all the dry ingredients in the greased pan.
Then you just mix the ingredients. (Ok, you could do this in a bowl, but why dirty another container!)
Then you dig 3 holes, 2 small, 1 large. You put the vinegar in one small hole, the vanilla in another small hole and the oil in the bigger hole. (It kinda looks like a face!)
Next, pour the water over it all.
And then you mix until the flour mixture is all wet.
Now you put it in the over.
35 minutes later you take it out.
Top with your favorite icing.
(Since I want to keep the cake dairy free and egg free, I just melt 1/2 a cup of dairy-free chocolate chips and add it to 3/4 cup of coconut cream and put it in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes while the cake is baking, then I put it in the fridge till the cake cools down a little – then I pour it on the cake and put the cake back in the fridge till we are ready to eat).
Now it is ready to eat….
A pan does not last long in our house – it is the best chocolate cake ever!
I often cut the cake into pieces and put on a pan. Then I freeze them like this.
Once they are frozen I wrap them and they are ready for school lunches – and the best part – it is not sitting on the counter tempting me all day.
Oh, man are they ever delicious.
What are you waiting for? Try making them yourself – or if you have children, let them bake this easy chocolate cake recipe.
EASY ONE PAN CHOCOLATE CRAZY CAKE
This crazy cake is the most delicious, easy to make cake all made in one pan. It uses regular everyday ingredients and does not have any dairy or eggs making it perfect for those with allergies. This recipe is sometimes called Depression Cake because it was made during the Great Depression.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar (I sometimes use coconut sugar)
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup oil (plus a drizzle for greasing the pan. I use olive oil)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease your 9×13″ pan with a drizzle of the oil.
- Place dry ingredients (first 5 ingredients) in order into the pan.
- Mix together and flatten out a little with your spoon.
- Dig 3 holes (2 smaller holes and one larger hole).
- Place vinegar in first hole, vanilla in the second hole and oil in the third larger hole.
- Pour the 2 cups warm water over the whole mixture.
- Stir again till flour mixture disappears.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes at 350 degrees F until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Add icing if desired. (directions for a dairy free icing we use can be found in the blog post)
You may also like these WACKY CAKE CUPCAKES MADE FROM SCRATCH.
How about this crock pot white hot chocolate recipe.
You can sign-up to get an email update each day. You can also connect with us on:
Recipe adapted from “wacky cake with brown sugar icing recipe – cooking with flo cookbook – 1987 edition”