These almond flour chocolate chip cookies are great for families with wheat and dairy allergies.
In recent years two of my three children have been diagnosed with a wheat and dairy intolerance. Eating these foods will cause a barrage of side effects from upset stomachs to mood alterations.
When we first found out, we were devastated and overwhelmed at the thought of making such a huge life change (dairy and wheat are in almost all prepackaged foods).
As some of you might know, having had to make these changes yourselves, the enormous task that lay ahead was finding foods that were similar in taste and texture. Even recreating things like a basic chocolate chip cookie was overwhelming.
After much research, testing and tweaking we are finally at a point where we have found amazing products and created recipes that are very comparable. We no longer miss our old lifestyle.
ALMOND FLOUR CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Since so many people have to live gluten-free these days, I decided to share one of my family’s favorite crispy on the outside, moist on the inside, almond flour cookies recipe.
This recipe uses almond flour and is sweetened with honey or coconut sugar. I find it a very healthy choice that is a great source of calcium and protein.
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Category: cookie
- ¾ cup of Vegan Margarine (or butter softened)
- ¾ cup coconut palm sugar or brown sugar or ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cups blanched almond flour (*see note below)
- 1 cup chocolate chips or raisins
- * Can substitute for homemade almond meal. ( grind almonds in blender until you get a flour-like consistency)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using an electric mixer, mix together the margarine, oil and sugar of choice in a large bowl.
- Add the vanilla and egg and mix until incorporated.
- Mix in the baking soda and salt. Then add the blanched almond flour, 1 cup at a time, until well blended. Fold in the chocolate chips with a spoon.
- Drop dough (about 1 rounded tablespoon) onto baking sheet. Bake approx 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Let cool a bit on the sheet then transfer to wire cooling rack and enjoy!
Everyone who tries these almond flour chocolate chip cookies loves them (including gluten friendly people) and since it doesn’t have any processed sugar (great way to avoid a sugar crash meltdown) it’s definitely worth a try.
I hope you enjoy making these with your kids and would love to hear what you thought of them.
Nadine is a stay at home mom/professional photographer who specializes in children and newborn photography. You can see some of her work at www.allurebebe.com. She has 3 wonderful children Caleb 9, Amélie 7 and Leia 2 and has been married to her best friend for the past 10 years. Nadine loves photography, baking, reading, crafting, helping people and finding daily ways to teach all these loves to her children and others around her.